No matter how much or how little time you have, there is something you can do to make a difference in the lives of foster youth in the Bay Area. The list below is arranged in order of increasing levels of commitment. Choose something that works for you.
- Sign up! for the FYA Weekly Bulletin about news, funding, and events. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read! about the challenges of youth in foster care in FYA’s Research Library.
- Thank! a foster parent for his or her hard work.
- Recognize! youth for their accomplishments, big and small.
- Inform! your legislators that foster youth are an important part of your community. Send a short email or letter. Use www.leginfo.ca.gov to find your legislators.
- Volunteer! with a local organization that serves or advocates for foster youth. Visit our FYA partner pages for ideas.
- Donate! to FYA and know that your contribution will help ensure that youth ‘aging out’ of the foster care system have access to housing, employment, education, health care, and support services that will enable them to thrive as self-sufficient adults.Click here to make a donation to FYA.
- Mentor! a youth in foster care. Check out www.beamentor.org for opportunities.
- Represent! a youth in court through Court Appointed Special Advocates. Visit www.californiacasa.org for information.
- Foster! a child in need of a loving home. Visit our page on how to Become a Foster Parent.
For more specific ideas on how you can make your time and talents work for emancipating foster youth, contact Reed Connell at email@example.com.